The Lobbying and Advocacy Handbook for Nonprofit Organizations defines Advocacy as: “Identifying, embracing, and promoting a cause; any attempt to shape public opinion, and promote the interests of your community.”
These fact sheets summarizing recent research have been produced by the National Coalition for Literacy.
At LiteracyCNY, we encourage our volunteers, staff, students and community partners to advocate on behalf of our program and adult literacy students in our community. Advocacy includes:
- Letting concerned citizens know about the issue of adult literacy in our community
- Raising awareness about LiteracyCNY
- Helping adult literacy students to access instruction
- Speaking out through the local media
- Communicating with local, state, and federal elected officials
To keep informed about public policy issues affecting adult education, follow us on Twitter @LiteracyCNY!